Before You Consider Dental Implants in Nashville, TN
A perfect candidate for dental implants is someone in good oral health. It is important that the patient possess a sufficient amount of bone mass before putting dental implants in place. Without adequate bone mass, the implants will not be properly supported and complications may arise. Healthy gums are also beneficial. In addition to untreated bone and gum disease, the following conditions may render you ineligible for dental implants in Nashville, TN:
Technology has made it possible for just about anyone to receive dental implants. Generally, anyone who is missing at least one tooth and is healthy enough to receive regular dental care can receive dental implants. Many patients who have received dentures in the past are now switching to dental implants.
- Children – Dental implants should not be given to children whose jawbones have not stopped growing.
- Heavy Smokers – Smoking can inhibit the postoperative healing process and reduce the likelihood of a successful implant.
- Alcohol Abusers – Patients who are not prepared to follow instructions on how to care for their teeth are generally not considered for dental implants.
- Patients suffering from chronic disease – Certain conditions can put you at risk during the implant procedure. These include connective tissue disorders, hemophilia, and others.
- Patients who take certain medications – This includes steroids or other drugs that suppress the immune system.
- Severe Teeth Grinders – Patients who grind or clench their teeth severely can put too much pressure on dental implants and increase the chance of failure.
If you are interested in receiving dental implants, contact Nashville Periodontal Group today and schedule an appointment with Dr. Akin. We will carefully evaluate you and determine the best possible implant procedure for your situation.